Saturday, June 19, 2010

I'm Crazy??

I was doing a liver biopsy on a patient yesterday. He's about 58 or so, very nice guy. His arms were covered in tattoos, from shoulder to wrist. His abdomen and chest were also covered. I told him I was going to be getting my first tattoo, and I asked him what he thought. He said, "I think you're crazy!"

I laughed and said, "I'm crazy? After you've got all these??..." He countered with the most logical answer: "Well, I got mine in prison."

And....End scene.

I did not see how that answered my question at all. Regardless, I pushed him on it, and he said he spent about 10 years in jail in Indiana. I told him I went to college near his jail. I figured this made us something akin to blood brothers. He didn't seem so moved.

He said that in jail, they would sharpen down the E string on a guitar to a sharp point. Then they'd rig that up to a tape cassette player and turn it on. The mechanism that would spin the heads somehow fashioned an amateur tattoo gun. I said, "Wait, you got most of these in jail - even the colored ones?" He said yep. He said, "I don't know how they do it now a-days, I haven't been in for awhile, but that's how we did it."

I guess if you've got 10 years to kill, painfully marking your body is one way to pass the time. I was mostly impressed at the resourcefulness of these convicts. I was also mostly convinced that was how he got Hep C. Regardless, he has some beautiful pictures that I'm sure represent the many people and many situations he's lived through.

No comments: