Saturday, October 20, 2007

Courage

Breaking bad news is never easy.

I'm a non confrontational person, so it's something I especially hate.

I remember breaking up with boyfriends in letters, rejecting potential dance partners by checking "No" in the "Will You Go to the Dance With Me? Check Yes [] No[]" notes in 7th grade.

I have had to tell a few people they had cancer in the last 3 years. That sucked. I've had to tell people they had diabetes, HIV, Chlamydia, Hepatitis C, and just about every other awful disease out there. But, when I break that bad news, it's not about me. It's about the patient and being there for him or her.

Yesterday, I had to confront a resident about whom I had heard a rumor. I had heard from a 3rd-hand source that this resident had violate a residency rule (not putting any patient at harm, but violated a policy rule that we have). So, I had to confront this person and find out the truth. It's hard -- calling someone out and asking them to be honest with you. At the end of it all, we got it straightened out, and things seem to be back on the Straight and Narrow.

I think this resident appreciated my honesty and courage to come to him for the answer. I also wasn't accusatory, but rather asked for verification of the rumor. He appreciated that, too (even though the rumor did turn out to be true). So, I'm learning how to handle people, how to manage people, and how to keep their trust and confidence even in tricky situations.

This year has been a year for character building for me. Yesterday, I worked on Courage. We'll see what next week brings.

1 comment:

Julia Ladewski said...

You did the right thing!