Thursday, January 27, 2011

Antibiotic Free Meat

Anyone that knows me knows that I don't eat meat. Most people don't know the reason I don't eat meat. I don't agree with people adding hormones and antibiotics to my food. I know why they do it - so they can pack millions of chickens in a tiny warehouse, grow them big without letting them run around and keep them infectious-free despite getting pooped on by every chicken stacked above them. However, there are dangerous side effects to this, and as an infectious disease doctor I feel that antibiotic resistance is a huge issue that I tackle on a daily basis. I refuse to feed that fire by supporting companies that promote the reckless use of antibiotics all so they can make more profit.

Now listen to this: I am about to eat my first REAL CHICKEN NUGGET in years.

I found a company, Applegate, who sells antibiotic- and hormone-free products. I was looking through the aisles at my grocery store, and I saw this box next to the veggie "chikin" nuggets. I bought them today, and I am looking forward to trying it out.

I encourage you to read a little about the use of antibiotics in food. Applegate has a great page on their site about antibiotics in food. Check it out.

In the meantime, I'm gonna eat my real, antibiotic-free and hormone-free nuggest. I'll let you know if they are any good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm excited, as you can imagine. :) i bought antibiotic-free ground pork at my japanese market. i wasn't looking for them in particular, but thought it was such a coincidence that i happened to have checked on your blog today.