Monday, November 2, 2009

Fellow Fellows


I just got back from Philadelphia and an IDSA conference. Nerdy ID docs from around the world come and listen to hours and hours of lectures about their favorite diseases. It was awesome. Really. I had a great time.

I really enjoyed Philadelphia, much to my surprise. I'm not sure why I was surprised. I didn't know much about Philly before I got there. I thought it was going to be dirty and run down. Not so. It was super cute! Lots to do and see. I could see myself living there. It's close to DC... And we all know how much I love DC.

The other pleasant surprise was how well my fellow fellows and I got along. I shared a room with 2 of them - A and T. I find them both hysterical people, very witty, fun to be around, etc. I was hoping we'd still be friends at the end of the trip -- 5 days of living with people you only really know at work could spell disaster. This time, it went great. I haven't laughed that much in I don't know how long. I love those guys.

Some of our adventures:
- 'A' trying 3 times, unsuccessfully, to give away his Ahi tuna leftovers to any homeless person we could find.
- Visiting the wawa store next to the hotel as often as possible for snacks and Diet Coke.
- Watching our 2 flat screens on the same channel in our hotel suite. The TVs were 10 feet apart. Max.
- Coming back, every day, to a room that was at least 54 degrees and still pumping out AC. We're not sure why Nicole, our cleaning lady, was trying to freeze us out.
- Taking a wrong turn on our run past the Rocky steps, making our 4 mile run a 7 mile run.
- Eating our weight in candy over those 5 days.
- Taking pictures of each other falling asleep during the lectures.
- Listening to our pharmacist try to sell 'T' on going out with her friend who "has a great personality" and "isn't hideous looking." He wasn't biting.
- Trying to come up with a clever title for 'T's talk on Neurosyphilis. I offered "Neurosyphilis: the other spirochete." He wasn't biting on that either.

So many more awesome memories. I'm very thankful that I work with 2 wonderful people. I look forward to our next adventure together!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Glad to see you ID docs can get wild - watching 2 tvs at once ON THE SAME CHANNEL!! I am surprised you didn't get arrested. Glad you had fun and learned about more diseases that may potentially make an episode of House.

Julia Ladewski said...

sounds like you had a blast. when is your next conf in chi-town? i'll come listen to a bunch of brainiac doctors just to see you!